- Can I go to the gynecologist on my period?
- What should I wear to a gynecologist appointment?
- How can I calm my anxiety before a doctor’s appointment?
- When should you go to the gynecologist for the first time?
- Do I need to shave before seeing a gynecologist?
- How can I be more comfortable at the gynecologist?
Can I go to the gynecologist on my period?It is preferred that you schedule your appointment when you are not on your period. Menstrual bleeding makes it more difficult for our physicians to properly examine and diagnose any issues that you may be experiencing.
When should you go to the gynecologist for the first time?We suggest that you schedule you or your daughter have first gynecological exam between the ages of 13 and 15. There are some cases where girls younger than 13 may need to be seen, due to symptoms like pelvic pain, abnormal bleeding or chronic urinary tract infections.
What should I wear to a gynecologist appointment?There is no required clothing that you need to wear for your gynecologist appointment. We do suggest that if you are experiencing pain in particular areas that you wear loose and comfortable items for your own comfort. It may also be cold in the waiting area and especially the exam room so bring socks to wear during the exam.
Do I need to shave before seeing a gynecologist?It is not necessary to shave before your gynecologist appointment. Your gynecologist is more concerned with your health than whether or not you had time to shave. And don’t worry – the majority of the time your gynecologist will not even notice you didn’t shave.
How can I calm my anxiety before a doctor′s appointment?Gynecologist appointment anxiety is a real thing! How can you ease some of your anxiety before your appointment?
- Educate yourself! Don’t assume you know everything! Do some research and read up on how everything works down there.
- Do your due diligence with finding the right specialist for you. Read reviews, see where they went to school or grew up.
- Have questions? WRITE IT DOWN! Start jotting down things you want to ask the doctor so you don’t walk out of the exam still needing questions answered.
How can I be more comfortable at the gynecologist?
- If time permits it, meet with your gynecologist before the exam to discuss what will happen during the exam.
- Figure out what exactly makes you nervous about going to the gynecologist.
- Ask friends and family for recommendations for preferred specialists.
- Bring a friend or family member for support during your appointment.
- Bring headphones and listen to calming music while you wait for your name to be called.